The bottom drawer in a range is used for a lot of storage, and that weight and frequent use can wear out the support rollers over time. Quickly replace them in just a few minutes by ordering part #814229 for KitchenAid ranges and following these steps:
- Unplug the range. While this repair doesn’t involve any electrical repairs or adjustments, it’s always good practice to remove the power source from major appliances you’re working on. Also, this repair should usually be performed in conjunction with a more thorough general inspection.
- Remove the drawer. Pull the bottom drawer out and slightly lift it once it’s almost fully extended. Then remove the drawer and set it on a flat working space.
- Remove the broken roller. This is fastened to the back of the side panel. Many people recommend using a drill to loosen it from the interior; however, you’ll have to carefully drill away from the metal material. If the support roller has been replaced before, you can unscrew it instead of having to drill through the rivet.
- Insert the new support roller and install the nut. Twist the nut tightly into place with a wrench, and then secure the exterior of the support roller with a flathead screwdriver so you can tighten the nut even further.
- Put the drawer back into place. Make sure it aligns correctly with the roller track.
For more oven repair and part replacement procedures, go to Appliance Express here and find steps for both routine and advanced jobs.